Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Reloading

No I’m not getting ready for the Zombie Apocalypse-
I do have a need to putter, my workshop is in storage post divorce.
There is a sense of order and detail that appears to me with reloading.
And it is something to do in my little cottage that is smaller than the shop I had while married.

Mostly I do shotgun slugs,

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1673.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_2996.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1676.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1674.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_3869.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1672.jpg

The units above were from a batch I made up with too heavy a load of powder, not past the max suggested in the various manuals.
Just to much for my setup…

New Old 336

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1561.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1573.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1579.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1568.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1570.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1556.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1603.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1586.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1598.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1ff/27945098/files/2015/01/img_1600.jpg

21 May, 2013 12:39

Drew Diaz

917.971.1577

Drew Diaz LinkedIn Profile

Drew Diaz Projects

@daddydrew

21 May, 2013 12:39

22 April, 2013 12:47

 

Anvil

Since I can’t find a 200 # unit, nor do I have the room- this will have to do for now.
The plate adds maybe 20# to the equation.

Historically anvils are supported on a log butt or a concrete plinth in shops.

There are some subtle details that I’ll brag on a bit here.  The  bevel on the bolts is a nice touch.

To do this I put the bolts in agrounds heaped  them by eye on a bench grinder and rethreaded the ends backing them did I did think about hardening the ends by heating and oil quenching and decided that would be onanistic.

Welding the stand pipe to this will be a chore- I sold my old Sears Home/Farm AC buzz box. Frankly it was a pain in the ass to even strike an arc on This machine, the amperage was inconsistent and one didn’t get all that much penetration. For this I will either use my woefully under powered Lincoln MIG or maybe try to get some time on Tom’s equipment. If I do the work in house I will gap the joint, preheat and run multiple,passes. I’m thinking this morning that it could be a real bone breaker if this stand fails.

br />
20120611-180852.jpg

20120611-180944.jpg

Box

There are a few things going on here:

  1. I’m close to some major changes in my life- so time to think is important.
  2. I’ve noticed over the years in this kind of situation mastering a new skill set is important.
  3. I’m returning to my hippie roots?
  4. This is a tune up for a major piece of furniture which will include wood and metal.
  5. Somehow this shape jumped into my head one day.

Don’t know what got into me, cold roll 14ga steel, 16d cut nails, Lincoln mig wire & bee’s wax- maybe the last of my bee’s wax…

Thought about templating the layout onto Mylar or flashing and then decided to one off it…

Glued paper to the sheet for layout and visibility- too much time on the computer plus age… cut it out with a saber saw

The wings are eyeballed to be ¼” (1/2 “ overall), on each top side, wider than square, to accentuate the flare….

Textured the metal on a 30# usher anvil (no such thing in the anvil forums) I pulled out of the trash (same haul that I got the machinist vise and a woodworker’s vise that needs some babbet pouring), which I’m probably going to bust if I ever mount it the proper height….

I used ball peen hammers of various sizes and some punch work using cut nails, one ground to a chisel point another with the head turned 90 degrees…

Texturing was done cold, did rosebud the whole thing a few times to red-hot to get some scale which adds some nice texture and leaves light and dark marks when hammered over.

Hot marked the bend joints with a blunted brick chisel, heated it past cherry and bent it in a brake I made up- it’s pictured….one fold did tear, break, separate whatever, but after experimenting it made the cleanest bend…

Welded it inside too much-

(I’m sort of planning a similar unit brazed with copper electric wire)

Finished it first w/ a knotted SS cup brush on a grinder, switched to a softer carbon steel cup brush (picture) at 850 RPM on the drill press, then stuck a piece of red scotch brite pad on the brush and finished on a cloth wheel on a buffer made from a washing machine motor…

Washed it in hot water and detergent…

Heated it on a clothes iron, while I cleaned up, and brushed bee’s wax over it…

Let that stand for a day, reheated it and rubbed the wax in, the metal is more porous than most think it is, smoked a cigarette and drank coffee while rubbing it out the day after.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.